How Does Dry Shampoo Work?
You do not have enough time to wash, dry, and style your hair thoroughly? Dry shampoo will always come to the rescue. Already from the name, it is clear that hair without washing will look freshly washed. How does it work? Silicate is the main component that absorbs excess fat from the surface.
Fashion trendsetters, stylists, and bloggers who know all about beauty products are unanimous in recognizing this product’s benefits. Dry hair shampoo has not only triumphantly returned to our shelves but has become an indispensable part of the modern styling process. Whether you need to freshen your hair or prepare it for complex styling quickly, dry shampoo comes to the rescue. This is especially useful when traveling or in a hurry. Simply apply the shampoo to the already stale hairline and that’s it.
But this product also has critics. Some people think dry shampoo is harmful. Let's see if it's worth using dry shampoo and which benefits does it have.
Types of dry shampoos
There are a great many types of dry shampoos. If you do not consider the release form but focus on properties, you can find dozens of cosmetics varieties in well-known manufacturers’ catalogs. There are different products for brunettes and blondes, fragrances, special formulas for oily and thinning hair, toning compounds.
Professional stylists need different types of dry hair shampoos because it is not known what problem they will have to deal with. For non-professionals, it makes sense to study the description carefully. The fact is that you can find dry shampoo powder on sale, which has nothing to do with cleaning hair without water. This is just a concentrate, which is convenient to carry with you and will not be washed out, and it will last for a whole month.
Composition and active ingredients that help cleanse hair
If you purchase dry shampoo, you can see the composition right in the product description. Components can be both natural and synthetic. Most natural products are made based on one or more natural adsorbents of white clay, rice or corn flour, starch. Cinnamon or ground coffee can be added to the base for brunettes.
In addition to absorbents, cosmetics contain essential oils. Their main tasks are to restore the hair shafts’ structure, moisturize, nourish the scalp, and impart a pleasant aroma to cosmetics.
Who better to use dry shampoo?
You should remember that just buying dry shampoo is not enough. It can never completely replace the prescribed professional care. Powder dry shampoo can only create the appearance of clean chevelure and postpones washing. Such products do not contain those necessary substances to cleanse not only your hair but the entire skin. It is ideal when traveling or in the office, but you probably shouldn't use it more than two or three times a week.
Dry shampoo powder is very suitable for women with oily hair. It is because daily washing harms the condition of the skin. Besides, it’s quite exhausting. With this cosmetic product, you can provide gentle care for oily hair.
An essential benefit of dry shampoo is that it is comfortable enough for short haircuts as well. But your curls should alternate dry and ordinary shampoos.
But for curly hair, the product is the worst suited. It can be difficult to comb out any remnants of the spray from the curls, which may not be very convenient.
Benefits of dry shampoo
Undoubtedly, the best quality of dry shampoo is that it instantly and easily refreshes chevelure. Modern products provide satisfaction for other hair needs as well. You can use dry shampoo to add volume and shape to even fine hair. Moreover, dry shampoo for oily chevelure gives a healthy and well-groomed look. Modern products are developed even taking into account different hair colors. Girls with dark hair should use a special dry shampoo for brunettes to avoid light residues of the hair’s product. Dry shampoo is a great styling tool.
You can do a trendy messy hairstyle quickly.
- Speed. Dry shampoo is salvation for modern girls. It sprays quickly, does not need special means for application; therefore, it is suitable when there is no time to wash your chevelure thoroughly.
- Compactness. Now you can choose any tool you want, large, small, or medium. Miniatures are convenient to carry with you in your bag and take on trips.
- Visible effect. The result from dry shampoo is immediately visible, the greasy shine is absorbed, and visually the hair becomes clean.
- Giving volume. In addition to the fact that dry shampoo copes with the oily film on the hair one or two times, it creates root volume. Those with naturally thin hair will especially like this effect.
Disadvantages of dry shampoo
Dry shampoo is not a substitute for regular hair cleaning. Continuous use of this product is not recommended. You should wash your hair regularly with water and regular shampoo. If you apply the spray incorrectly, for example, the hairline will look like it has been dusted with flour (since dry shampoo is usually light in color).
- Not suitable for regular use. It would be great to wash your hair once or twice a week and use dry shampoo on other days. Just a couple of minutes in the morning in front of the mirror, and your head is clean. But, unfortunately, such an experiment will only lead to negative consequences.
- Negative consequences. With the daily use of dry shampoo, there is a risk of ruining your hair. They will become more brittle, dry, and fall off, so don't overdo it.
- Not for everyone. If you have a dry scalp, seborrheic dermatitis, or psoriasis, dry shampoo can make the situation worse. Consult a dermatologist before using it.
How to use dry shampoo?
After you have chosen the best dry shampoo for yourself, you need to start using it. How to use dry shampoo? This shampoo is as easy to use as possible and will not give you any trouble.
You can use dry shampoos not only for cleansing but also for easier styling. In this case, the head should be tilted, very carefully spraying the strands. Then raise your head, continuing to spray your hair with shampoo and styling it.
If you decide to use dry shampoo, you should minimize the damage to your hair and skin.
Instructions in Using Dry Shampoo:
- It is important to comb your hair very well before using dry shampoo so that the cosmetic product covers it more thoroughly.
- Shake the bottle lightly so that all the active ingredients mix well, and apply the dry shampoo evenly to your hair.
- Spray shampoo only on areas of hair where sebum has come out. Most likely, these will be the roots.
- Spray the shampoo on the curls, strand by strand at the root, remembering to shake the bottle before each use.
- After spraying, massage the scalp to distribute the product evenly over the roots.
- Leave the shampoo on the dirtiest areas for two to three minutes. This will allow the dry powder shampoo to absorb impurities, grease, and hair care residue.
- Thoroughly remove dry shampoo from areas of the scalp and hair where the product should not be.
- Comb your hair at the roots so that the dry shampoo does not leave lumps and light spots on your chevelure.
- Do not spray dry shampoo on the ends to avoid dry and electrifying hair.
- If the ends of your hair are split and dry, apply some conditioner or coconut oil. But don't overdo it, so your hair doesn't look messy.
- Do not use dry shampoo for more than two days in a row.
- When buying a product, carefully read the composition and see which hair the shampoo is intended for, light or dark.
Although dry hair shampoo is very convenient to use, it cannot replace the usual washing of chevelure. Shampoos, hair conditioners, masks, or care sprays applied to wet hair additionally contain soothing and nourishing ingredients to provide deep care and cleanliness at the same time. No dry shampoo can solve this problem. But it is ideal for use in between traditional shampoos while maintaining a well-groomed look.
For more hair care tips, visit JuvaBun!
Read Also:DIY Dry Shampoo Recipes