Types of Curling Irons. How To Choose? - JuvaBun
Table of Contents
- Curling iron varieties and functions
- Different types of curling irons
- How to choose curling irons depending on the type of coverage?
- Which curling iron is suitable for hair extensions?
- Features to look out for when choosing curling irons
Soft romantic waves, bouncy curls, or perfectly aligned chevelure can all be tried on with different types of curling irons.
Perhaps there is no more indispensable and practical device than a hair curler. The rating for its use beats impressive records among women of absolutely all ages and professions. That’s why selecting a curling iron can be difficult. How to choose curling irons? What are stylers, and what is important to consider when selecting one or another styling device? You will learn about this in our article.
Curling iron varieties and functions
Curling irons are the perfect tool to create curls for any occasion. The variety allows you to select the type of curling that is right for you. Curling irons are different in diameter and shape; there are also several functions.
Curling irons are conventionally divided into:
Almost all models of the flat tips, regardless of their type, have thermally insulated information, which protects your hands from burns during operation. It is enough to wind the separated strand on the heated device and wait for a little to work with such a simple device.
You can fix the strands on the curling iron with a special clamp, thermal gloves equipped with some models, or a spiral located evenly over the entire surface area. It should also be noted that curling irons equipped with a clip can curl the hair and straighten it.
Curling irons come in various diameters, which are designed for varied lengths and desired effects. The longer the hair, the more different types of curling irons you can use. If the chevelure is of medium length or shorter, then a large-diameter device can create only soft falling waves on such hair, and for smaller curls, it is worth choosing a small-diameter styler.
Different types of curling irons
Cylindrical styling devices have a uniform width over the entire working surface, which allows for the same curling along the whole length of the strand. Almost all possible sizes of irons are suitable for the owners of long chevelure.
Some ladies find uniformly curled hair somewhat unnatural. Here, conical curling irons come to the rescue, allowing you to vary the curl’s diameter at different lengths. Moreover, you can simply create different curls and use a part of the styler.
Spiral curling irons provide perfect fixation of the strand on the device and create flawless curls in one movement. Ideal for beginners who have not yet gotten used to fixing the strand on the styler’s hot surface.
How to choose curling irons depending on the type of coverage?
Coating the working surface on the curling iron is an essential point. What are the coatings in modern curling irons?
- Metal. It is the most reliable option. It does not lend itself to deformation, scratches, and chips, of course, if you do not do them intentionally. Another benefit in protecting the metal coating is its price. Metal devices are the cheapest among curling irons. But since metal is a very thermally conductive material, it can overheat the hair during styling, affecting its condition. Therefore, you should definitely use thermal hair protection products and do not forget proper daily care when opting for a metal curling iron.
- Ceramics. A prevalent type of coverage known for being safe for the chevelure and not expensive. Ceramics are gentle on hair but do not like mechanical damage. Without careful handling, the ceramic coating can be scratched and sometimes even chipped, making the device unusable. It is recommended to store ceramic coated appliances suspended or in a carrying case to protect them from accidental chipping. You can find curling irons with a combined coating of ceramics and tourmaline. In this way, you can protect your chevelure from unwanted drying out and provide it with additional protection, especially if the hair is thin and brittle.
- Tourmaline coating is not typical in curling irons. It is a mineral coating that acts as an ionizing agent that dissipates static electricity, reduces frizziness, and makes hair visually more well-groomed. Most often, a ceramic heating base is coated with tourmaline.
- The titanium coating combines the reliability of metal and the gentleness of ceramics. Curling irons with such a coating are not affected by scratches and external damage. At the same time, they do not spoil or dry out the chevelure. Of the shortcomings, this is the most expensive type of irons. However, the reliability of the device and the protection for the chevelure are worth the investment.
Which curling iron is suitable for hair extensions?
The choice of curling iron for extensions or hair with clips depends entirely on their type. If you have natural hair, you can use any curling iron if you do not forget about thermal protection. It is best to use a ceramic coated curling iron. This coating will harm your hair extensions less. If you often use a curling iron, do not forget about moisturizing and gentle handling of curled hair extensions. Make moisturizing masks regularly, use thermal protection, and cometic with a minimum of chemical additives.
If you have synthetic hair extensions, it is best to avoid styling with a curling iron altogether. Better get curled hair extensions that you can apply to your chevelure after styling. You need to choose a device with a controlled temperature to use curls on synthetic hair. Metallic curling irons tend to have uneven and uncontrolled heat that can melt and permanently ruin your synthetic hair.
Features to look out for when choosing curling irons
- The curling iron must have an auto-off function. It can work either upon reaching the set temperature or after a certain time. This way, even if you accidentally forget to turn off your device, it will automatically turn off.
- Overheating protection will keep your chevelure from exceeding the selected temperature to maintain its appearance and prolong the styler’s life.
- Temperature conditions and maximum temperature. You can customize the styler for your chevelure type, length, and condition thanks to the different temperature modes.
- Ionization provides additional protection against the negative factors of heat treatment of the hair, removing the static charge of the hair and giving additional shine and silkiness.
- Ergonomics. The rubberized and non-slip grip protects the styler from accidental drops, even when working with wet hands. The weight should also be comfortable so that you do not feel fatigued during the creation of a complex hairstyle, making you stop a step away from the desired result.
As for saving on such a device, the choice is always yours. But do not forget that sometimes the desire to save money does not lead to pleasure from the process and the result, but it’s the direct opposite. In any case, it should be borne in mind that such devices are bought for at least several years.