Changing seasons and experimenting with styling products often lead to discomfort.
The head itches, but how dangerous it is not always clear. Dry skin gives girls as many problems as oily. Since it is continuously in a dry state, there is an uncomfortable feeling of the epidermis’s tightness. The skin itches, the chevelure becomes electrified, the ends split. Dandruff may also appear. How not to harm yourself with home treatment, when to go to the doctor and how to prevent scalp problems? It is essential to determine the causes and start treating dry scalp correctly to avoid all these problems.
Causes of dry head skin
Dry skin is characterized by a violation of the integrity of the hydrolipid mantle. This means that the epidermis surface is covered with an uneven or insufficiently dense water-fat layer with an antibacterial, moisture-retaining, and wound-healing effect.
If oily skin suffers from an excess of sebum, the sebaceous glands work in a dormant mode. This condition is called dry seborrhea. As a result, the skin surface is covered with a thin film that tightens the epidermis.
Symptomatically, it manifests itself in itching, local redness or inflammation, brittle and dull hair, active peeling of dead cells.
What causes dry scalp?
One of the most common causes is genetic predisposition. In this case, a girl from adolescence notices such a feature and in every possible way tries to fight it. However, other factors can also dry out the skin. If you have a dry scalp, then you definitely need to treat the reason.
- Hormonal disbalance.
- Psoriasis, dermatitis, fungal diseases.
- Endocrine diseases (thyroid disorders).
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and nervous system;
- solar radiation.
- Unbalanced diet.
- Using an unsuitable shampoo that contains corrosive substances.
- Washing hair with hot water.
- Frequent coloring of hair with dyes containing ammonia.
- The use of styling products, hairdryer, irons.
- Seasonality, climate change.
Prolonged disregard of symptoms and refusal of treatment for dry skin can lead to inflammatory skin diseases. Since cracks are often observed on the overdried epidermis, into which not only microparticles of dust and dirt fall, but also bacteria. Besides, with increased dryness of the scalp, dandruff and increased hair loss are observed.
What methods do professionals use for treatment for dry scalp?
Dry scalp primarily results in small, whitish, or grey scales that crumble onto clothing. It is not always possible to get rid of this on your own, but doctors know the secret of restoring the epidermis’s normal state.
One of the methods of treating dry scalp is the hair mesotherapy procedure, the effectiveness of which has been proven in practice. It allows you to completely cure the ends, restore the chevelure structure, get rid of dryness and dandruff. This technique helps when conventional remedies fail to cope with problems.
The composition of meso cocktails composition includes vitamins, amino acids, trace elements, minerals, and everything necessary for nutrition. Substances are delivered directly to problem areas, which provides an instant response to their intake and facilitates absorption.
Since the drugs are injected with a very thin needle or a unique device, there are almost no painful sensations and side reactions. However, the specialist prescribes the procedure only after clarifying information about contraindications. Always consult your doctor before starting treatment for dry scalp.
Moreover, you should not worry about your chevelure’s appearance during treatment; you can always use extensions to hide temporary defects. Extensions will not harm your chevelure, but on the contrary, will help you look more beautiful and healthier.
How to wash your hair to avoid dryness?
You should pay attention to how to properly dry your head after washing not to aggravate the situation. You need to gently dry your hair with a towel (in no case should you rub it, as this disturbs the hair structure and irritates the skin). Besides, you cannot comb your chevelure immediately after washing; it is better to wait until the head is completely dry, and it is not recommended to use a hairdryer.
Сalendula, nettle, chamomile, or sage decoctions help in treating dry scalp. But before using it, it is better first to consult your doctor.
It is useful to use peeling oils in special shampoos. Burdock and castor oils are excellent for dryness. But they are dense, so they need to be heated in a water bath and only then applied. These scalp oils will moisturize the epidermis as they do not contain any chemical components.
Proper nutrition for the treatment for dry scalp
If the cause of itching and dryness is vitamin deficiency and a lack of trace elements, it is recommended to go on a diet.
Vegetarians often face dry scalps because they do not eat animal protein. It can be replaced with chickpeas, beans, and other legumes.
What vitamins are good for the scalp and hair:
- Fats (nuts, oily fish, fish oil).
- Animal and vegetable protein (dairy products, poultry, eggs, cheese, legumes).
Moreover, it is useful to take vitamins in the form of tablets and complexes of trace elements for dry scalp. However, it is better to do this as a preventive measure after the main treatment.
It seems that dry scalp is not such a serious problem; you can always start drinking vitamins or eat right. However, for many reasons, peeling can be caused, and learning more about them can prevent serious problems in the future.
How is dry scalp treated?
What to do and how to get rid of dry scalp? You do not need to buy expensive products; first of all, it is better to consult a doctor. The first step is to make an appointment with a trichologist so that he can establish the cause.
What products and creams to use for dry scalp, what can a specialist advise? If a fungus causes the peeling, then a dry scalp shampoo with selenium disulfide is suitable. This supplement will stop the division of infectious cells.
- When it comes to the scalp’s congenital dryness, the trichologists select suitable care products to moisturize the epidermis and restore the hydrolipid film’s integrity.
- If you have acquired dryness, then it is necessary to establish the reason that provoked this phenomenon. As a rule, for this, a comprehensive examination is carried out by several doctors. In the presence of internal diseases, the patient is assigned complex therapy.
- Long-term neglect of dry scalp symptoms can lead to the development of inflammatory skin conditions.
- The first thing to do is get a mild sulfate-free shampoo for dry skin with a moisturizing or regenerating effect. It should not contain parabens, silicones, phthalates, polymers, keratin. You need to clean your chevelure as it gets dirty, using lukewarm water.
- Moisturizing skin serum will also help. It will enhance the effect of the shampoo. Don't forget to apply masks, conditioners, or balms. With a dry scalp, the chevelure does not receive enough nutrients, so it breaks and splits easily. These products make brushing easier.
- It is also helpful to use natural oils such as chamomile, argan, or a mixture of different oils. It should be applied to dry skin several times a month, rubbing in with massage movements. Leave the oil on the skin for half an hour, then wash it off with shampoo.
- If desired, natural oils can also be used to treat dry ends. As a rule, they are applied to wet, well-washed tips.
- There are many recipes of masks for dry scalp, but first, it is better to consult with a trichologist and allergist since this or that component can worsen the epidermis condition.
- You can do light scalp peels. Peeling agents should be gentle. It is good if they contain fruit, zinc, arginine, an extract of mint, eucalyptus, chamomile, nettle, bamboo, algae, allantoin, clay, amino acids. Their task is to eliminate dead cells and improve blood circulation and start metabolic processes.
- If the dry scalp is not related to genetics and internal diseases, it can be addressed by reviewing the care system.
- Remember to wear a hat when in the sun or frosty air, keep your drinking regime, and protect yourself from stress.
Before you start treating dry scalp, see your doctor, who can help you find dryness causes. Most women face similar problems, and this is normal. You need to be patient to heal dryness and forget about the discomfort. While you are treating your hair, do not worry about the beauty of your chevelure. You can use hair extensions to conceal lack of volume or lengthen your chevelure. If you continuously use extensions during treatment, then they should be washed with the same shampoo that you wash your hair with. This way, you can avoid bacteria from building up.